- "The sun is going down. I stare out the window and try to remember how I got here."
- "And I suddenly know that people don’t visit here. This is where people are left alone. This is where people, maybe, even come to die."
- "I look at the sky and blink at the sun, that hot and terrible ball of fire that burns and makes the burn of memories easier. And I walk."
- "The first thing I see when we enter are skeleton dolls, laughing skeleton dolls playing guitars, dancing, red roses in their hair. Paulo stares at one."
- "We leave the city behind until there is only dust and road and mountains."
- "We keep driving and I see a sign for a restaurant that’s really a shed with nobody parked in front."
- "I worry as we go deeper and deeper into nothingness."
"He smiles again. I turn to go inside and he suddenly asks, ‘Hey, why the pink gum?’
I shrug. ‘They’re pretty,’ I tell him. It’s not a lie. They are pretty. But they’re also like the sun They explode in my head."